top of page

THE KAM STORY

Legacy History
1922-1966

history mason web page rv3.jpg

Christ Temple No. 2 (later to become Mt. Zion Apostolic Church) was founded by Pastor Lillian Mason in 1922 as a prayer meeting in her home at 1206 Earhart Street on the south side of Indianapolis, in a village called Norwood. First known as the Pentecostal Assembly of Christ Temple, the church worshipped at various times in a railroad boxcar, a converted pool hall, and other storefront buildings. The church was affiliated with the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World (PAW), then moved its membership to the Pentecostal Churches of the Apostolic Faith (PCAF) when it formed in 1957. Characterized by a constant struggle for survival, the membership during these years was small, from a high of approximately 50 members, to periods of time which Pastor Mason describes as “Just me and the Lord alone.” Dedicating more than 40 years of her life to this work, she realized the fruition of her labors in 1955 when she directed the construction of a two-story brick edifice at 3412 E. Prospect Street that would serve the church for 38 years. Pastor Mason died on August 13, 1975, at the age of 84. It has been said that whenever you see the church on Prospect Street, you see a monument to the life sacrifice of a woman who had a vision to work for God.

Pastor Lillian Velma Lasley Mason, born October 1, 1890, in Munfordville (Hart County), Kentucky, served as founder and pastor of Christ Temple No. 2 from 1922 until her retirement in 1966. She was baptized and filled with the Holy Ghost under the pastorate of Bishop Garfield T. Haywood and received her ministerial license through the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World. She was married to John Mason who preceded her in death. She died in 1975 at the age of 84. The Pastor Lillian V. Mason Sanctuary was named in her honor in 2005.

Our Story

1922-1966

1967-1987

1972-2007

1988

1989-2019

One Church

bottom of page